During the first week of June, 2016, OceanGate Inc. dove Cyclops 1 on the wreck of the Andrea Doria. OceanGate Foundation invited local teachers and students to a short tour of the submersible when the dive team got back to Boston Harbor. Attendees were able to:
- Learn about how the Open The Oceans program challenges students to pursue STEM careers in the ocean
- See Cyclops 1, a 5-man submersible capable of diving to depths of 1640 feet (500 meters)
- View 2D and 3D sonar images of the wreck generated by the latest Teledyne BlueView multibeam sonar
- Tour the expedition vessel Warren Jr.
- Hear how the iXBlue PHINS inertial navigation system provides critical navigation information
The expedition was a great start, and we hope to visit the wreck of the Andrea Doria again in the future to document it changes over time. National Geographic posted a nice writeup of one of the expedition participants, Scott Parazynski, which you can read at: